History

Established in 1887 by university graduates who wanted a special place where they could enjoy intellectual pursuits, the University Club of Chicago was founded for the purpose of fostering an appreciation of literature and the arts. College or university graduation remains the basic requirement for membership, and within the membership nearly every business and profession is represented.   
 


     
Above from left to right: Art collector, artist and member, Frederic C. Bartlett painted the medieval hunt scenes on the Michigan Room ceiling in 1909 | William C. Boyden, former UCC President, responsible for the plan to erect and finance the current Club building | Perspective Rendering of the University Club of Chicago (1908) by Holabird & Roche | University Club architect, Martin Roche | The University Club during construction in 1908 at its current location at 76 E Monroe St.